To us, that encapsulates the reason why Armand Rousseau is such a darling among Burgundy wine collectors. Neither effects of global warming nor generational changes have changed the uninimitable style of Domaine Armand Rousseau much, if at all.
Over the years, the Domaine’s offerings have remained true to the quintessence of Burgundy – ethereal, classy and elegant. This is rather popularly referred as a traditionalistic approach. Despite an emerging consumer preference for a more extracted, lavish and seductive style of Burgundy, Armand Rousseau has preserved its own style. Their wines tend to appear relatively lighter with silky tannins and reserved, nuanced aromatics when young.
Mistaken that not with a shorter ageing expectancy, Armand Rousseau wines are known for developing beautifully over age. All of the above, together with the Domaine’s minuscule production of just about 65,000 bottles, cement Armand Rousseau’s prime claim as one of the greatest Domaines in Burgundy.
Brief facts about Domaine Armand Rousseau
- Founded in Year 1902 by Armand Rousseau
- Currently managed by 3rd generation Eric and 4th generation Cyrielle Rousseau
- Vineyard holdings encompass 15 hectares of Village (3ha) , Premier Cru (3ha) and Grand Cru (8ha) vineyards in the communes of Gevrey Chambertin and Morey St Denis
- Average yield of 30-40 hl/ha
- Viticulture: Clay-limestone south and southeast facing terroir. Vines trained on Guyot system.
- Vinification: 90% Destemming, 18 – 20 days fermentation in open-top stainless steel vats with regular pumpover. Fermentation temperature between 31 to 34 °C. Gentle pressing after fermentation using pneumatic press. 24 hours settling before transferring to oak vessels for malolactic fermentation and ageing.
|Gevrey Chambertin Village||1.61ha|
|Gevrey Chambertin Clos du Chateau – Monopole||1.36ha|
|Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St Jacques||0.76ha|
|Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St Jacques||2.21ha|
|Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers||0.60ha|
|Charmes Chambertin Grand Cru||1.47ha|
|Mazy Chambertin Grand Cru||0.53ha|
|Chambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru||1.42ha|
|Chambertin Grand Cru||2.55ha|
|Ruchottes Chambertin Grand Cru Clos de Ruchottes – Monopole||1.06ha|
|Clos de la Roche Grand Cru||1.48ha|
Above facts about Domaine Armand Rousseau are extracted from the official website of Domaine Armand Rousseau.
Photo Credit: Domaine Armand Rousseau, AFP
Starting to dabble with Burgundy? Read WWX Blog on 5 practical questions that you should ponder on when it comes to fine wines of Burgundy.
WWX team has assembled a highlight selection of Domaine Armand Rousseau offerings.
Tips: If you would like to get an exhaustive list of Domaine Armand Rousseau offerings on WWX, simply key in “Armand Rousseau” in our Search bar and tap Enter. This will bring you into an Advanced Search results view listing all up-to-date available Armand Rousseau offerings.